Interviewing actress Francesca L White


1.- How was your childhood?
Overall, very good. My parents did everything they could to ensure I had plenty of options and career paths for my future while still letting me be a kid. I’ve always been a bit of a nerd, and I won’t hide that I was bullied for it at school – like so many have, but I’ve been very lucky with my family. We’re still close.
2.- From what age did you decide to be an actress and how did you know you had the skills to go on TV and in the movies?
I’ve always performed in a variety of disciplines – piano concerts, ballet & dance recitals, ice skating competitions, even Latin debates alongside acting. I had acting specific classes from age 11, and I studied drama through University. It actually took me until my drama degree to realise that I wanted to be an actress on the screen. I’ve always loved film, but I’ve never been particularly loud – which is what a lot of my acting teachers looked for and promoted, so I was often overlooked/underestimated. My degree allowed me to experience a lot of the behind-the-screen/crew work, not just acting, which is what solidified my decision to pursue acting as a career. Simply put, it didn’t feel like work; it’s how I wanted to spend all my days.
Knowing whether I had the skills to go on TV and in the movies is another matter. I don’t know if you ever feel like you definitely have what it takes, honestly. I keep working to improve my acting, story- telling, and performance skills even now. I can only hope others enjoy watching/experiencing my acting as much as I do actually doing the acting, and keep wanting to cast me.
3.- Did your parents support you in your decision to be an actress?
My mum has always supported my decision to be an actress. Even in the longest career lulls. She gets that I love it and feel like it’s where I truly belong. My dad is a very practical man so it’s a little harder for him, but he’s come to see my plays before, and he does try to understand & support. Which is more than a lot of people get, so I’m grateful.
4.- What was your first appearance on the screens?
A drama/sci-fi called short film ‘This Reality’. It was about a doctor having invented a pill/method by which you could forget your worst memories and traumas, but then ultimately left you losing more and more of yourself. I had done a couple of music videos prior to that, and, randomly, been on a Top of the Pops episode years ago, but this was my first chance to really act on screen.
5.- What was the role you liked the most?
Ohh, tough question, there have been so many that I’ve enjoyed – or enjoyed being challenged by – for so many different reasons. I really liked playing Queen of Hollywood Amara Giovanni (The Great Charade, Rodeax, Prime Video) as she was so callous, entitled, and bitchy – getting to say things and behave in a way I wouldn’t in my real life. But then I also liked downtrodden, drug-addicted Rose (Are You Watching Closely, Recognition Films, Prime Video) because she was going through so much, and I had to do a lot of research and prep to try to understand her mindset and instincts in the film’s particular story-line. As was the situation with the Drifter I played in Walking Against the Rain (Crossroad Pictures, film festival run atm with release to be announced). I like roles that push me out of my comfort zone and my own life experiences, and I try to switch up the types of roles I play each time – power status, histories, motivations.
6.-What do you think led you to fame?
I don’t know about ‘fame’, per say. When is someone officially ‘famous’? My nan, Stella, was an am- dram and panto actress when I was very young, and I vividly remember her dressing up box being used for ‘performances’ throughout my childhood. So, the desire to perform and tell stories has always been in me. But ‘famous’, especially in the A-lister sense isn’t something I’m necessarily looking for nor have been led to. I’d love to have my pick of roles, for sure, and have more people coming to me directly with something they’ve written for me or with me in mind. When that has happened and, I must say, the times people have said they’ve bought a film I’m in to watch it because I’m in it, it’s been incredibly flattering and reinvigorating as an actress.
7.- What actresses and actors do you feel comfortable working with?
I feel comfortable working with most people – everyone brings something different to set/stage/audition or rehearsal room. The longer you’re in the industry the less you judge people and any mistakes made, really. I have worked with a lot of people, and I’m lucky to consider a good many of them friends. I’ll always love working with and respect the skills of Ben Manning (Dear Hangman, Recognition Films, Prime Video & Apple TV), Candice Palladino (The Great Charade, Rodeax, Prime Video), and Chris Clynes (Companions, Will Dennies, release to be announced). And Ray Strasser-King (Viable, Dwayne Kemete, release to be announced) is ridiculously talented - he made emotionally challenging scenes so much easier. I was extremely grateful to work with the iconic Claire King (King of Crime, Lionsgate, Prime Video & Apple TV), she’s phenomenal, completely down-to-earth, and lovely; it’s no wonder she’s had the career she has had.
8.- In what other genres of art would you like to participate? (Works of theater, music, among others).
I have been lucky to work in a lot of different genres of art so far – theatre, music, dance, video game alongside my film career. I also enjoy fine art. I haven’t really done TV yet, just pilot episodes, so I’d love to do more of that. And VR is on my bucket list too.
9.- Do you have any anecdotes that have marked you in your life and as a person?
Great question. While I was studying to act on screen and living in LA at the start of my career, I unfortunately went through an assault and became very ill after it. My face was temporarily disfigured, and I vividly remember the person on the plane who was sat next to me asking to be moved. Doctors in the UK saved my life and my face returned to as it had been. This experience, or ‘anecdote’, definitely changed the way I look at the World and gave me so much respect for people who don’t fit societal norms kicking butt, staying strong and not letting shallow perception/judgements affect them or their choices.
10.- What projects will you make next and which ones do you have in mind?
I can’t say too much but I’m lined up to shoot a part of a horror anthology with a director whom I’ve wanted to work with for a while. I’m also in talks with a talented director I’ve worked with previously to do a re-telling of a Grimm’s fairy-tale in a post-apocalyptic setting which would be incredible. Fingers crossed it’s going to be a busy year.
11.- Would you like to make a movie in Spain?
Of course, I would love to. A chance to do three things I love at the same time: act, speak in another language and travel. I’ve only ever spent a week or so in Spain, so a longer stretch would be great & hopefully help me improve my Spanish. It’s a dream.
12.- You like spanish cinema?
I do, and I would love to see more of it being promoted in the UK. I saw a lot of Latin American movies being promoted in LA while I was studying there. So, I don’t understand why far fewer Spanish movies are promoted here. Pedro Almodóvar and Alejandro Amenábar’s works are the first that come to mind. And Penélope Cruz is an idol. If you can recommend some great Spanish female director’s films that would be great.
Thank you very much for your interest in my career. I hope you have a fantastic 2023. Te agredezco. Te deseo lo mejor de lo mejor.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing the actress Gio Di Oliveira

Interviewing actress Carolyn Meyer

Interviewing the actress Gabriela Kulaif