Interviewing actor Henk Brugge


1-. How was your childhood?
I was a dreamy, touchy child, growing up in a small Dutch nowhere village. With a vivid imagination, for a long time I enjoyed playing with toy animals, which, as you may imagine, also could talk to each other. I also loved reading, collecting comic books, pop music. And learning languages such as English, French and German. Unfortunately, in my surroundings the level of decency and inspiration was poor. And I did not really connect with my parents. Or my peers. It seemed they all lived in another galaxy. Or possibly I did. Left on my own devices I sort of struggled through my childhood. And schools where quality of education was at an utterly failing standard. But I didn't know any better and floated on. I knew I was a different child, an alien in my family. At 20 I left home. 'Don't look back in anger, I heard you say. At least not today' (Noel Gallagher).
2. - From what age did you decide to be an actor and how did you know you had the skills to go on TV?
I loved watching movies, tv-series and cartoons, dreaming away. Wouldn’t it be lovely to act? Then at 18 I reacted to a call for a part in an amateur play. And was hired! Didn’t know a thing about acting, but thought it was challenging to be on stage. Critics burnt me down to the ground, but I didn't care. Next I wanted to go to drama school. Was rejected in the very end of the strict selection procedures. And my world fell into a zillion pieces. Then auditioned at an other Dutch drama school. Same disappointing results. Then went to the United Kingdom to audition at the prestigious Guildhall School Of Drama in London. I knew I could act. Others thought differently, however. But it very much looked like the curtain was falling over my acting aspirations.
3. - Did your parents support you in the decision you made to be an actor?
No. They did not understand one iota of my lifestyle and future plans, rejected it. I struggled with them ever so many years. On the other hand, quite a few members of the Brugge family were artistic. My dear aunt Bets was a gifted violin player in her days. And in my great-uncle's family there were also awarded musicians, singers, a painter and a film director. Must be in the blood somewhere.
4. - What was your first appearance on the screens?
After my successive careers as a certified Beautician, certified Skin Therapist and a certified Interior Designer turned out to be dead ends I turned to acting, again. I was cast for a small, not exactly significant, part in a short film. But in a flash it dawned on me: OMG, this is it! So then I took private drama classes for a few years. And singing lessons by veteran teacher Threes Orri (1915-1993). I got an off-and-on part as a hospital nurse in a daily tv soap series. Meanwhile learning a lot about acting, scene studying, being set prepared and set discipline.
5. - What was the role you liked the most?
Now, let me think. I played quite a few in the past 30 years. It must be the part of Jacob Damson in short film 'Museum Of Me' by Simon Horrocks (2019). Which was preceded by a practicum ‘Intimacy On Set’. And also the part of K.C. Morana in feature film Surveilled (2020) by James Smith and Caroline Spence of Raya Films. Both productions were filmed in the United Kingdom. The latter in an amazing house, built in 1643.
6.- What do you think led you to fame?
Define: fame. Some 20 years ago I was regularly on tv and frequently recognized. Fame? Don't know about that. I think fame is a side product. I was awarded Best Actor for my part as a dying old man in short film Trust (2020) by director Paul Nyamekye. Got a nice certificate. Fame at last? Or what?
7-. What types of characters you would like to interpret?
Challenging and multi-complex characters, such as a psychopath or a gentleman crook, demanding the best of me. Needless to say these roles require any depth. In the story, I think it’s important the character is both developing and inspiring anyway.
8-. What actresses and actors do you feel comfortable working with?
The ones generating contact, coming prepared, knowing their parts and lines and giving counterplay I like best. Inspiring colleages. No surprise I dealt with the other category as well: those walking in on set without introducing themselves, talking loudly, not having checked the IMDb of their co-players, displaying their inflated egos instead. Or even worse, telling the director what to do and how to direct. I then try to bite my lip. Mostly it works.
9-. In what other genres of art would you like to participate? (Works of theater, music, among others)
I work as a roleplay actor as well. In so-called Assessment Centers together with a business psychologist to advise, for instance, who is suitable for a management function. And also did countless training sessions and played quite a lot of roles like 'the difficult patient' for a hospital, 'the suspect' for the police academy, 'the mentally disturbed patient' for a mental institution. In the latter, institute workers learned how to cope with aggressive patients and applying restrainment techniques. They complemented me on playing 'a mental case'. It was ever so real, they said, rather surprised.
10.- Do you have any anecdotes that have marked you in your life and as a person?
‘Perseverance generates success’, is my motto. Sometimes the tunnel was long and dark, but there was light at the end. Once I played a part as a doctor, white coat and all, in a – real – hospital. Someone came up to me and started asking me medical questions, respectfully. I’m no doctor, I’m an actor, I said. The man could not believe it and gazed at me in disbelief. Now, was it the white coat or me? Well, actually, I don’t play. I am.
11.- What has been your greatest achievement?
For a period of time I also had a frightful between-acting part-time job at a university. That did not work at all, I was zero motivated. One day in 1997, I took the plunge and decided to make a living from acting only. The fact that I succeeded in this is absolutely my greatest achievement.
12.- What projects will you make next and which ones do you have in mind?
I will be producing a film, together with a very talented director, Paul Nyamekye. Currently in pre-production. As soon the script is perfected by the also talented script editor Kiril Maksimoski we will take off. Believe me, for acting I'm at the ready too. And there is one feature film scheduled in which I will play a funny character.
13.- Would you like to make a movie in Spain?
Si! In January 2023 I was in Seville and loved this magnificent city. Been in Spain before a few times visiting wonderful places there like Barcelona, Malaga, Marbella, Jerez. A movie in Spain, you asked? Call me anytime.
14.- Do You like spanish cinema?
Oh yes! On Netflix there is quite a selection of Spanish movies and series, worth watching. Like El Baile De Los 41 (2020), a great film I recently watched.
Pictures by JeanHaasbroek.nl ®

This one:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing the actress Gio Di Oliveira

Interviewing actress Carolyn Meyer

Interviewing the actress Gabriela Kulaif