Interviewing actor Lew Temple




1-. How was your childhood?
My childhood was wonderful, full of imagination and play. I was obsessed with playing baseball, so I was always outside playing baseball, riding my bicycle, building forts, and generally just being an active boy!. I had several friends, and of course we got into various trouble, but for the most part we were good kids. I was taught right from wrong by my parents, was disciplined, and had good manors. I am proud of my upbringing, and happy with my childhood.

2-. From what age did you decide to be a actor and how did you know you had the skills to go on TV? I never thought about being an actor, until way later in life. I believe I was around 28. Growing up, I did not even know there was such thing as an actor. I literally thought who I saw on television was who they were. I followed a girl into an acting class later on in life and was hooked by the craft of entertaining. I was from a story-telling family, so it felt natural. I never knew I had the skills to be an actor, I knew, I liked entertaining people, and to make them laugh, so I suppose that was part of my personality. Later as I began to study the craft, I learned, I had a lot to learn. I still do. It is such an ongoing art. I like that about acting, continued evolution.

3-. Did your parents support you in the decision you made to be an actor?
My parents always supported me in everything I did. As a boy, I wanted to be a Major League Baseball Player, I was small, but they never told me I could not make it. I did not stop dreaming of that until after college. I never thought I couldn’t. So I guess I am saying that I have always had my parents support. Today, I try to offer that same support to my daughter. I think it is more difficult now to have a dream, because there is so much distraction in life. Support is so important to a young artist. It is this encouragement that keeps them moving forward.

4-. What was your first appearance on the screens?
Actually it was a regional commercial for the Texas Lottery. Shortly after that I was cast as a guest star on Walker, Texas Ranger with Chuck Norris. Those were big moments in my career because its validated that I was cartable. So often when auditioning, you feel as if nobody sees you. So when you get cast, it creates confidence and hope. I was so excited with the Walker episode. My folks still talk about it, as my best work. After all these years. I then dove headfirst into the Indy Film world, where I am still active today.

5-. What was the role you liked the most?
I always give there (3) answers to this question. As for Film, studio it would be UNSTOPPABLE, the role of Ned Oldham. It was such a joy to work for Tony Scott (I did three picture ogre him). That was a great action film, that I was part of being an unlikely hero in helping to stop the train. As Indy Film goes, WAITRESS. Cal the diner manager was such a joy. That film in general was a delight. To work with Adrienne Shelley, (God Rest Her Soul), was such an unforgettable experience. And this film was that good feeling like coming home from college. It was such a huge success, now a Broadway Musical. And finally on Televions, THE WALKING DEAD, Axel. Wow, what an incredible sound breaking franchise to be a part of. Such a family we are, and to have changed television in the way we did, at least in my opinion. Really special.

6-. What do you think led you to Fame?
I would have to say, The Walking Dead. I had done some really good Studio Pictures beforehand, Domino, The Lone Ranger, Lawless, The Lone Ranger, Rango, The Devil’s Rejects just to name a few. However, the visibility of The Walking Dead is overwhelming. I feel so grateful to have been a part of it. When I was on the show, people would recognize out in public, at the coffee shop, etc. It was crazy how many folds were watching at that time. Of course in this Industry, it is what have you done for me lately, but I can tell you The Walking Dead was a wild ride.

7-. What types of characters you would like to interpret?
I am now looking for work that I have yet to do. More philosophical type of work. A Father dealing with life. Moral dilemma, confronting the later stage of one’ s life. Faith. I want to explore that which is more subtle. I am always drawn to that which is new and different to me, a character I have not done before, a look I have not had, a voice I have not used, a physicality I have not dance with before. The discovery of a character is my favorite part of acting, and this is a bit part of it. New exploration.

8-. What actresses and actors do you feel confortable working with?
Open minded ones. That would include most everyone in my brethren. I value the new experiences that new cast members bring to the work. I find that exciting, and inspiring. I like that most actors are also looking for new experiences, and I am hopeful, I can provide that for them. I like new techniques, cultures, and approaches to the work. This can only enhance the project. Acting is best when challenged, not to say in conflict, but in collaboration.

9-. In what other genres of art would you like to participate? (Works of theater, music, among others) I like writing quite a lot. I like this form of story telling. So I have been writing a few film scripts and television pilots. I like the challenge of finding a characters voice within the boundaries of a story.
Story structure is what I am most lacking, but am learning as I progress. I also like writing songs, and have dabbled with some very talented musician. I would say I am more of a lyricist than a musician. Again, another form of telling a story. I have always enjoyed theater in it’s purest form of live performance. I don’t do quite as much as when I started. I think we have new aspects of performance now that include podcasts, youtube, ticktock and the like. It is all storytelling in the end, and I suppose that is what I am most in pursuit of.

10-. Do you have any anecdotes that have marked you in your life and as a person?
Oh, my goodness, so many. I would guess the surviving cancer (leukemia) would be the biggest. It certainly changes your perspective. I am so grateful to still be here, to watch my daughter grow, to watch the world grow. It is not everyday you develop a bout of cancer, but actually so many have had this kindred experience, including my wife. That we have a child, is a miracle. That has changed my life. That is how we met indirectly. I think that getting to see my dream materialize in both baseball, and acting is a miracle that makes me believe. I was told that I could dream, and I have. I was told I could do, and I have. I am blessed. Denzel Washington asked me, “what are you gonna do now”, after the premiere of Unstoppable. I come o understand that to mean, keep moving. Scott Wilson (God rest his Soul), told me “never forget how you began, and how to start over again”. This industry is a constant evolution is it not.

11-. What has been your greatest achievement?
Being a Father is definitely a great experience. That my child never fails to amaze me is such a gift. I can’t believe her courage in this fast moving world. I am blessed to be a part of her life. I have found a way to continue moving forward in this industry. Not sure how in some cases, but somehow…I have survived, by still believing in the dream. Still in search of service to the story. I have had two careers, baseball and acting that anyone would be proud of. I am certainly fortunate and blessed.

12-. What projects will you make next and which ones do you have in mind?
I am planning to make my directorial debut this fall, with a story that I wrote, called Ace In The Hole. It is a coming of age story, that is built around family values and faith. I will be hard pressed to make it happen, but in the end, I Will. Because I must! I am truly invested in this project, it is a passion to say the least. I will pay everyone, but will need much good will in order to make it happen, and I have faith that it will. It takes a village as you know.

13-. Would you like to make a movie in Spain?
Of course!!! Let’s go, lets make one this summer. Just send for me and my family and we will be there. I told my wife when I married her that I would move us to Spain someday. I am still beholding to that promise. I am excited to work with new filmmakers from other cultures, and I believe I am
nothing if not a collaborator, so it would seem to me to be a good fit. I have always revered the western’s that were shot in Spain, and I think that the western genre is coming back, so perhaps that is a good avenue. Let’s make that happen by all means. Now you got me excited!!!

14-. You like Spanish cinema?
As I said above, the Spanish Western is it’s own special piece of cinema. I think it has a tone that is unlike any other. That being said, the Del Toro fairy tales are exceptional. I think that story telling in general is so poetic in Spain. The European sensibility is so thorough and committed to excellence. I love the passion with which Spanish stories are told, I could learn a lot from that type of experience. So YES, I love Spanish Cinema, and look forward to so much more of it in our shared love of the art.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing the actress Gio Di Oliveira

Interviewing actress Carolyn Meyer

Interviewing the actress Gabriela Kulaif