Interviewing actress Fanni Compton


1-. How was your childhood?

Good….. for the most part. I was very blessed in some respects. As an introverted and incredibly shy little girl, my childhood was certainly joy-filled, often times confusing (for various reasons) but full of wonder, imagination and creativity which I think has heavily contributed to my development and skills as an actor in numerous ways. My joyful experiences along with my Mothers consistent encouragement, helped me to develop a positive outlook and this sense of ‘anything is possible’. Infact, my schools’ whole ethos and emblem was “Nil Impossible Est” which I wore very proudly upon my boater and blazer for many years, and I think it was this unwavering optimism that gave me the courage to explore my own creative potential, you know….without boundary’s or limitation’s. To think….. so many of my days were just consumed and mercilessly devoured by writing poetry, songs, raps, monologues, jokes, mini novels, recording and working out harmonies to chart topping hits, putting on plays… to my toys, to my friends, to myself….painting, dancing (often naked)……Oh my! I cannot begin to tell you how necessary and imperative it is that a child is given the room, the permission and the freedom to explore and to create. I’ll never lose nor take for granted that creative ability. It was and still is my guiding star! Then there were the days where I was introspective and reflective. Quiet. Silent. I spent a lot of time thinking about my place in the world, my own identity, and the experiences that had shaped me. This necessary solitude (often misconstrued by others as sadness) and self-reflection allowed me a deeper understanding of human emotion, psychology and behaviour, which, as fellow thespians will concur, is essential for acting. Whilst my introverted and shy nature held me back, initially, from making friends, forming close relationships and connection, it provided me with a vivid, imaginative, rich inner life. I was blissful in my own company, in silently observing people especially strangers, in my own created worlds, lost in the rapture of possibility. As a young teenager, some of my favourite memories were traipsing into town, alone, every Saturday, finding a pew in the shopping centre and sitting for four or five hours just watching people go by. How they dress, walk, talk, gesture et al. I appreciate in hindsight why others thought me “a little bit different from the rest”! Little did I know then that my shyness and introspection were necessary for developing characters and embodying them on stage and screen. I am now, particularly skilled at observing and understanding the nuances of human interaction, which helps me bring real authenticity to my performances. My childhood experiences, have given me, I feel, a unique set of skills and perspectives that will ultimately lead to my success as an actor.

2. - From what age did you decide to be an actress and how did you know you had the skills to go on TV? 
I trained, professionally, as a Ballerina and so for the longest time, that was the field that I’d expected to stay in. I don’t ever recall “deciding to become an Actor”, however, I knew as early as I can remember that I wanted to tread those boards and perform, in some respect. I had an acute awareness that it was possible to manipulate and/or emote feelings from people. From an audience…. And if you did it well, be it via the medium of dance, comedy, music et al….. you could control, shape, guide their reactions, their emotions. I quickly learnt how to make people cry with despair or wet themselves with laughter through performance and I guess I became obsessed with that. That’s some voodoo power right there, and I knew it. Performance of any kind, is, at its best: Magic. An illusion performed so magnificently, that, as if by magic, the crowd falls on and believes your every word and action. Let’s just say I’ve been working on my ‘sleight of hand’ for many moons now. It’s a craft.

3. - Did your parents support you in the decision you made to be an actress?
My mother, yes! Absolutely! If I posited “What if I fall?”, she would quip “What if you fly?”. My Father, well, he was more of the opinion that I was “a dreamer” who needs to “get a proper job like a Doctor or Barrister”. Working in the legal sector, my Father was not a fan of the Arts. He had a penchant for Neil Diamond. That’s as far as it went. I think it still is!

4. - What was your first appearance on the screens? 
I think it was actually on the regional news. The world tour of ‘Darling Buds Of May’ was premiering at The Royal Theatre in Northamptonshire and I was being interviewed about being cast as one of the Larkin children. It was such an honour to be directed by Alan Cohen and act alongside the likes of Christopher Timothy and Gemma Craven. I remember thinking “Oooh, I’m nearly famous” and asking all my friends “Did you see me? I was on television. Did you?” No one had!

5. - What was the role you liked the most? 
Hmmmm….. I get asked this a lot and I always come up with the same answer so I’ll keep it brief. I was cast as the lead, Linck. A Prussian woman presenting as a man most of her adult life. A true love story, if you will…..an idyll of 18c Prussia: Corporal Anastasius Linck, a Hanoverian musketeer in dashing white breeches and shiny buttons is espied from a window by the lovely, undowered but extremely bored and rebellious Catharina Mulhahn. Our hero is forced to desert the regiment and flee under the assumed name of Rosenstengel to work as a cloth-monger and dyer, since a medical examination for the clap would have revealed that he is born a woman. But love must have its way, and finds its idyll in a garret until an outraged mother of the bride and the clumping simplicities of a bygone penal code catch up with them, comically but lethally. It was the most demanding, wrenching, gutting, visceral and beautiful piece of character work I think I’ve ever performed and between you and I, I went a little bit mad and derailed in the process of it all. It toured all over London culminating in a months run at Edinburgh Festival where it rightfully received multiple 5 star reviews. Bizarrely and brilliantly, I’ve just learnt that an adaptation of this true story is being performed at The Hampstead Theatre in London currently.

6.- What do you think led you to fame? 
Ha! I don’t believe anything has… as yet, and so, the more important question becomes, what’s going to lead fame to me? Right? Maybe I should start dancing naked again like I did as a child, but I can’t work out if that would hinder or revolutionise my potential for fame in todays climate.

7-. What types of characters you would like to interpret?
Anyone and everyone, however, if you’re backing me into a corner on this, well, anyone deranged, disillusioned, disturbed ……The things that we really respond to are born on the backs of darkness more than on the wings of victory and I revel in the dark. The villainous. Portraying a story’s antagonist can challenge actors to explore motivations, experiences, and reactions that they would (maybe) never have in their real life, and what’s more, you’re highly praised for releasing your demons onto the set. It’s very cathartic. When I’m not releasing demons however….. I do love the women characters of Oscar Wilde and Noel Coward.

8-. What actresses and actors do you feel comfortable working with? 
Ones that have integrity and talent. Actors that are passionate and focused on their craft, and take the work, not themselves, seriously.

9-. In what other genres of art would you like to participate? (Works of theater, music,
among others)
I’m very fortunate to have had much experience in the world of Dance in my younger years and never one to let a dream stay just a dream, I’m also a recording artist with music on Spotify, iTunes and all major streaming platforms and so alongside my acting career, I don’t feel that I’ve missed out on any particular art form. I maintain my passion for writing poetry and spoken word pieces, writing songs, creating music videos, script writing and comedy sketches and that keeps me busy creatively. If I want to try something new, I always find a way to make it happen.

10.- Do you have any anecdotes that have marked you in your life and as a person?
An anecdote?? I went to my friends sleepover the week after she kissed the boy that I liked at school. While everyone was downstairs dancing to Now that’s what I call music 30 and drinking hot chocolate, I went around putting tuna inside all the curtain rods. Weeks went by and my friends family couldn’t figure out why the house smelled like festering death. They caught me through this video where the girls at the sleepover were singing ‘Always something there to remind me’ while I was in the background with a can of tuna flakes in brine!

11.- What has been your greatest achievement?
At the risk of sounding cliched, it’s got to be having my daughter. She’s the gift that keeps on giving. Giving me stress, mess and sleeplessness and I wouldn’t have it any other way. She makes me a better woman.

12.- What projects will you make next and which ones do you have in mind?
I’ve got an Album to be released later this year and I’m hoping to work on my first Christmas single too! And of course, there’s Music Videos to be made to accompany. Alongside this, I’ve penned my first proof of concept short film, inspired by my own story, however, before filming I’ve got much research to do and funding to sort and so that will take up much of the rest of 2023. Making films is a minefield of work that I hadn’t anticipated or appreciated before but I’m focused and determined to make it happen. I’ve had a project entitled Nowhere Close, in post production for the last three years and so fingers crossed, all hurdles and adversity will be overcome to get this Comedy pilot premiered later this year. I’m excited for all the opportunities and possibilities that lie ahead going into 2024. For sure….

13.- Would you like to make a movie in Spain?
Sure! Making movies anywhere and in any location is always amazing but if you can make one set against exquisite beauty, nature, vibrancy and warm sun…. All the better. Y ayuda que yo también hable un poco de español

14.- you like spanish cinema? 
I’ve not seen enough to pass comment, but in saying that, I’ve not seen much British cinema either. I’m not a big watcher of films, to my betterment or detriment as an Actor, I’m not sure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing the actress Gio Di Oliveira

Interviewing actress Carolyn Meyer

Interviewing the actress Gabriela Kulaif