Interviewing actress Mariah Mannae

1-. What was your childhood like? 

I grew up in a small town in rural Australia. During my childhood I spent a lot of time both at the theatre, performing and at the studio training. I was surrounded by nature, camping, swimming, and exploring. There was always a sense of play, creativity and the outdoors, balanced with auditions and performances in the city. It was the duality of the grandeur of the theatre, the pace and opportunity of the city, integrated with the simplicity and stillness of the country that’s really shaped who I am, both as a person and as an artist. 

 

2. - From what age did you decide to be an actress and how did you know you had the skills to go on TV?
I was training and performing with the Australian Ballet and the Victorian College of the Arts from the age of 9, so that was always where my life was headed. I stumbled into acting as a teenager, but always had a love of literature and film and did drama throughout studying. I was fortunate enough to train in a variety of techniques with a strong calibre of international coaches, secure an agent and start booking work. My first ever short screened at the cinema and I remember thinking, I want to do this for the rest of my life. 

 

3. - Did your parents support you in the decision you made to become an actress?

I think because I started working in the arts industry when I was very young, they never really knew any different, they always expected I would have a creative career even though I loved academics. Neither of my parents are in the arts but they saw how determined I was. When I was 8 years old, I would wake up at 5 am before primary school to train in the living room. I used to use the back of furniture as a ballet barre, and after about a year of it my dad and his friend built me my own so I could keep training. My mum has always fostered creativity in me with ballet, writing and acting. She always encouraged me to watch old films, read stories and write; she has such a great scope for character and story. My dad was a great example of being the hardest worker in the room and building an abundant life from sheer tenacity, so that’s really influenced my love of the business side of the industry in producing my own films. 

 
4. - What was your first appearance on the screens?
I booked my first film role in a short film, a year after I had begun studying acting, and then booked my first movie the following year. 

5. - What was the role you liked the most? I’ve been fortunate enough to play a variety of different roles, each of which I have learnt extensively about humanity, connection, perspective and life from. One of my favourites is actually a role I have been preparing for recently, for an upcoming project. It’s really challenged me in terms of research, characterisation and taking risks in the work and I’m very much looking forward to shooting it and stepping into the physicality of the world.

 

6-. What types of characters would you like to play? 

I love seeing powerhouse, flawed, multifaceted women on screen, and the idea of exploring a character that embodies all those layers in the text is incredibly exciting to me. I think actors like Cate Blanchett, Carey Mulligan, Frances McDormand, Viola Davis, and Kate Winslet have done a wonderful job of showcasing the humanness of women on screen and I hope these kinds of roles continue to be written and ingested by audiences. 

 

7-. What actresses and actors do you love working with? 

I absolutely adored the cast on my last film, and an actor I especially love working with is Jordan Fraser-Trumble. I think he is a master of his craft and gives so much gravitas in his own performance while allowing space for the other actor to step in the ring and play ball. He is an equally talented producer and I love collaborating with him both as actors and producers. 

 

8-. In what other genres of art would you like to participate? (Works of theater, music,

among others). I would love to find my way back to the theatre, especially living in London. The theatre was the first place that felt like home to me, and the stage has always been such a sacred place. Writing is of course one of my biggest loves and I’m looking forward to venturing into directing next year alongside my producer credits. 

 

9.- Do you have any anecdotes that have marked you in your life and as a person?

I’ve always had to fight incredibly hard for my art and to have a voice. Whether that being as a dancer, actor, writer or producer. I think my willpower and work ethic are to thank for any opportunities that have come my way. 

 

10.- What has been your greatest achievement? 
I’m incredibly blessed to have had an amazingly fulfilling career so far. From performing at the State Theatre to having a film screen at Cannes, there’s been a lot of ‘pinch me’ moments along the way. Being able to produce a movie was a big feat and I would say it really changed me as an actor and has been a lightbulb moment in terms of what and how I want to tell stories in the future. 

 

11.- What projects will you make next and which ones do you have in mind?

I have multiple film and tv projects in development and pre-production currently, which is exciting. It’s been great to have a base intentionally and to now be collaborating with creatives in different places and mediums. As for post prod, I currently have a film that is doing the festival circuit intentionally and cinema screenings in Aus, one happening this weekend actually! As well as another movie that will be released early 2024. 

 

12.- Would you like to make a movie in Spain?
I would love to make a film in Spain. Pan’s Labyrinth is one of my favourite films of all time. I’ve always had a huge appreciation and interest in European cinema and international films. 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing the actress Gio Di Oliveira

Interviewing actress Carolyn Meyer

Interviewing the actress Gabriela Kulaif