Interviewing actress Marie Finch


1-. How was your childhood?  

I was born and raised in Sacramento, CA. I remember fun times dancing with my parents. My father loved playing the Bongos and the guitar while singing. My parents loved to dance and enjoy music. So, I acquired the love of music and dance. However, I was also Tomboy. I enjoyed being outdoors climbing on trees with my brothers experiencing make-believe adventures in empty fields throughout our neighborhood. I played sports in middle and high school. I made all tournament Basketball player in my Junior year and Most Valuable Player. I loved Basketball, softball, tennis and most sports...still do.

2. - From what age did you decide to be an actress and how did you know you had the skills to go on TV?   

From a very young age I wanted to act. I loved make-believe. The magic of being anything or anyone on any given day brought joy to me and being able to focus and committing to a role was evident. Even when I pretended to have a sprained arm (used my brother's arm sling from his arm injury) in 4th grade to get out of school work only to realize I had to keep up the charade for at least a week followed with guilt because my teacher was helping with everything...even getting my lunch in the cafeteria line! Obviously, I did not think it through. I never did a prank like that again. However, I continued to act at home creating different worlds with my siblings and neighborhood kids and only for good.

3. - Did your parents support you in the decision you made to be an actress?  

My mother passed away when I was 13 years old, so she never witnessed my acting. However, she supported my dancing and signed me up for dance lessons, and watched my recitals when she could. If things were different for her, I am sure she would have supported my acting. My father would have also supported it. He loved Western Movies, music and dancing. When my parents gave parties at our modest little house with friends (before the age of 5), they would call me to the living room to dance with them in front of their guests. They knew I had the spirit for acting and entertaining. I began acting later in life because in my twenties, I chose marriage, children, and a banking career over acting. Once my daughters grew up, I found myself acting in local theater and then in several indie films.

4. - What was your first appearance on the screens? 

My first appearance in a lead role was for a short film called "The Disappeared" where I played Lucia, a Mother, whose family was from El Salvador in 2018. It won Best ScreenPlay at A Place Called Sacramento FIlm Festival.

 5. - What was the role you liked the most?

I thoroughly enjoyed Captain Terry in the Sci-fi Feature Film Ultra Red (2023). I am a big fan of Sci-Fi movies and a closet science nerd.

6.- What do you think led you to fame? 

Fame? I am not famous...yet (ha ha). But, what led me to Los Angeles from Sacramento during the pandemic? To get acclimated to Los Angeles before the industry started back up. So that I would be ready to start auditioning for roles in television and film.

 7-. What types of characters would you like to interpret? 

I thrive in roles that depict strong, competent and smart women in any profession. Being a mother myself, Mom roles are always a joy. I would like to play women who are very smart, and ambitious who can be vulnerable yet ruthless if need be to accomplish their goals and protect their livelihood whether it's an attorney, doctor, detective, congresswoman, judge or a teacher. That would be fun!

8-. What actresses and actors do you feel comfortable working with? 

Everyone! All of them! Everyone is so different and brings their experiences, backgrounds and expertise to the roles. I would love to act with Viola Davis, Javier Bardem, Oscar Isaac, Al Pacino, Helen Mirren, Salma Hayek, Penelope Cru, Angela Bassett, Charlize Theron, Ana De Armas, Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Lawrence to name a few but I am willing to work with anyone who loves to push the envelope with our craft.

 9-. In what other genres of art would you like to participate? (Works of theater, music, among others)  

Theater for sure! I miss the connection with cast members and audience on stage. It's scary and exhilarating at the same time. And a writer, eventually an Author of a book.

10.- Do you have any anecdotes that have marked you in your life and as a person? 

Yes. I was in 6th grade and the school had an Olympic day. There were high jumps, long jumps, races etc. Being very athletic and a runner, I signed up for the 800 meter run. A male teacher came up to me at the day of the race to tell me that no girls signed up for the race, however, I was welcome to run against the boys in the 800 meter run. At that age, it was a big decision. I felt very confident with my abilities against another girl...but a boy?!! Could I even keep up with them without feeling foolish lagging behind? A few seconds later, that doubtful thought diminished and I was determined to win at all costs. I won third place!! That day taught me that I am courageous and that I can do anything if I put my mind to it. I found my tenacity that day which stayed with me all my life and assisted me in my career, motherhood, spouse, etc. I learned to "Never give up and never be intimidated by my circumstances."

11.- What has been your greatest achievement? 

There are so many. I challenge myself to learn and try new things and at times even surprise myself. Being a good Mother to my daughters is my utmost greatest achievement...it's the most important role in my life and continues to be even though they are now adults. My courage to continue and thrive through adversity is another achievement. Producing two short films. Beginning my podcast called Up and Comers of Hollywood. Assisting and helping others when I can (giving back)

12.- What projects will you make next and which ones do you have in mind?

I co-produced a short film called Mistaken, so we are in post-production now and will begin to submit to film festivals in 2024. I will be working with my friend and creative partner on a few screenplays (Comedy and Drama). I am also working with another team with writing a Mafia genre screenplay. I produce and host a podcast and YouTube Channel called Up and Comers of Hollywood. It's so much fun to interview others and learn about their journey, their challenges and their successes while learning so much about the industry from professionals in different roles in front and behind the camera within the entertainment industry. With the SAG-AFTRA Union and WGA Union strike, I am not working on a film or television project at this time. As soon as negotiations are complete, I will be back auditioning for roles.

13.- Would you like to make a movie in Spain?
I would! I have visited Barcelona and loved it! 

14.- you like spanish cinema? 

Yes, Some of the best movies are made by Spanish Filmmakers such as The Paramedic, The Sea Inside, and Talk to Her. THe characters and stories are so deep, rich and real.


 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing the actress Gio Di Oliveira

Interviewing actress Carolyn Meyer

Interviewing the actress Gabriela Kulaif