Interviewing actor Andrew Gunnar




1-. How was your childhood?

I guess you could say I had somewhat of a normal but nomadic childhood…My dad was in the military and we moved around a lot before settling in Southern Illinois when I was 6 years old. I was the youngest with 2 sisters and a brother all of whom were from 4 to 12 years older than me. With that being the case I had to fend for myself as they were mostly not around and Southern Illinois near E. St. Louis was still a rough place back in the 1980s. 


2-. From what age did you decide to be an actor and filmmaker and how did you know you had the skills to go on TV?

(1) For me…acting for film came later in life…I had already been married with children for a number of years and many life experiences when my ex and I split up…then once alone again I eventually found my way into college for Audio Engineering, and songwriting/recording (I had taught myself guitar and wanted to learn to record my own original songs). It was during this time someone brought me to the Film acting, writing, and directing/ digital filmmaking program.  

All of a sudden here I am watching a scene that was being performed live to demonstrate the power of live performance and filmmaking and that was the first time it had even occurred to me that this was something that might be an option for me. I was immediately hooked….I wanted to act, write and make movies and tell stories. (2) For myself I didn’t need to be told I had talent. I was obsessed with trying and trying again until it came out right…..I will always believe that the only way to gain the skills is simply by trial and error. Fortunately with film the results speak for themselves.



3-. Did your parents support you in the decision you made to be an actor?

My mom and dad were generally supportive of my career decisions but when it came to acting and film I would say it was more that they acquiesced to support me. They were in their senior years by the time I was able to act in films ... .when I sent them the videos of things I had done there was always a hesitation because these were not big budget feature films. I remained passionate about my dreams and would not worry about what anyone else thought…It was when I packed my bags and moved out of the country to Vancouver, BC that is when I found out my mom and dad were very worried about this new direction. My biggest regret is that I lost my Mom and Dad before I got my big break…I tried my hardest to put them at ease but the success they wished to see had not materialized for me yet.



4-. What was your first appearance on the screens?

While in film school we entered a 24 hour film racing event...we had to write, shoot and produce a short film within 24 hours. I delivered my first big monologue and it was the most challenging thing I ever had to learn and then film all within a couple hours…it was a very difficult scene with so many distractions.

 I was a street hustler who magically appeared to a couple whilst they were kissing at a fountain in the park....they looked up and I was holding a quarter and threw down this inspirational speech about how I was holding destiny within my fingers and that what I had was a token to uncovering every hidden desire they have within their juvenile little hearts.....and that all that is required of them to acquire this magical token is a mere 5 dollar donation.   

When the film was finished I remember the director had made a gag reel that was absolutely hysterical.   



5-. What was the role you liked the most?

I had a role where I was a ruthless enforcer for the mob, I liked performing the lower level acrobat stunts that the role consisted of….it was interesting to see it on the big screen when it was finished.



6-. What do you think led you to Fame?

Well….I haven’t experienced “fame” yet but if that were to happen I would simply say that following through with my dreams and being persistent in the face of many rejections would certainly have played a role.



7-. What types of characters would you like to interpret?

I always like the roughie or bad guy roles…gunplay and murder scenes…I have watched miles of gangster movies, westerns and action films while I was growing up and in film school. Also some of the science fiction drama is also interesting, anything that has good and evil compromised. I also like the characters who are unique and difficult to define.


8-. What actresses and actors do you feel comfortable working with?

I have loads of actors I admire, but, when I am trying to create something, comfort typically does not play into it...there is always an element of self denial ….and a role is what it is. I do find it interesting though when I am working with others who take their craft seriously and show up ready to push it to the limit to make a project amazing.  



9-. In what other genres of art would you like to participate? (Works of theater, music, among others). 

As I previously stated I have also been into music, songwriting but I found that music relies nowadays on only live performances…if I were younger perhaps that would appeal to me.                                                                

I lived in Alaska working as an artist's apprentice, carving wood sculptures and working a live puppet show and that was very interesting.



10-. Do you have any anecdotes that have marked you in your life and as a person?

Be persistent and no matter what it is…..always follow through.

Do all of your homework. “I didn’t come this far…just to come this far.” I have found these things work well ... .so many times you want to just give up when you feel the heat of being judged ... .in reality that heat is what transforms and molds you if you just stay the course.

It's when you are completely out of energy…..it's always then…that you find out that the last 10 percent of the journey is the only part that anyone was interested in.   

Here's something to chew on….you go to school, learn your craft, save your money, make your plan to go to the big city….work every bit of your plan and even go beyond it so that you are sure you have been thorough….along the way some bad shit happens and before you know it you are out of resources and nothing to show for any of it and you are an absolute emotional wreck because you don’t have a way to even get by or even make it back home. This new reality sets in and you feel your sanity slipping away……NOW ITS ON..”. ok…now this is where you begin to find out what this whole journey is about….it isn’t until this moment that you find out anything you have done up till now has been irrelevant…What will you do? How will you survive? ACTION …you are now the hero or the villain in your own story…and the world is watching. NOBODY cared about anything you did until now….now is the only time it matters….It is only when this reality sinks into your mind…..then you know you have gone the distance. When you are playing for all the marbles…it’s only when you finally run out of marbles that the game truly begins.



11-
. What has been your greatest achievement?

I would have to say that my greatest achievement was permanently relocating 2400 miles west after college with my ex and my son who was 3 at the time. We did not know anyone and only had my recent education to see if I could even find work...I had no family or friends that would even be useful for a job reference. Looking back on it I remember many people told me that it could easily have turned out very badly. I only remember being stubborn and not giving myself any other option but to succeed.



12-. What projects will you make next and which ones do you have in mind?

For the last year and a half I have partnered with a non-native English writer to interpret his 1930s Chicago land mobster script “Tepito for Gangster” (The Jack McGurn Story) I cannot say for certain that it will be the very next project I am able to work on…..but there is a sequel currently being written and if successful I hope to have some other role in the making of that film.



13-. Would you like to make a movie in Spain?

Yes! I grew up in America and other than the years I have spent in Canada…I have not been outside the USA. Having that privilege would be beyond fantastic to see a country so rich in historical culture. What I know of Spain is mostly what I learned as a child and the glimpses I have seen in the westerns I watched, and on the internet. If I were ever able to make a film in Spain my hope is that it would be something great that would be remembered.



14-. You like Spanish cinema?

I have loved what I have seen….. I first want to reiterate that I found filmmaking late in life and going to the cinema and immersing yourself watching everything you can…can take years. 

Watching the latest films and understanding the perspective through the Spanish lens is key but my Espanol is only about 4rd grade level I am not completely fluent.



An opportunity to visit in person and see the Tabernas desert, Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, and San Sebastián would take my breath away. So to summarize, I am ready to take it all in and desire to one day make my contribution to Spanish Cinema.

























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing actress Melany Hill

Interviewing the actress Gabriela Kulaif

Interviewing the actress Gio Di Oliveira