Interviewing actress Sarah French


1. How did you get into film and did you always know you wanted to be an actor?
Looking back, I’ve always loved to entertain. As a kid my sister and cousins and I would put on little plays for family at the farm I grew up on in Minnesota. In high school I made
short skits and short horror films with my friends. I grew up watching horror films so that was always my go to when creating, I loved it. I always wanted to be that girl running through the woods, half naked, bloody and battered, running from a killer or being the killer!
Where it came to life for me was when I was in my early 20s, trying to figure out what I really wanted in life. I went to college for Horticulture first, and then changed my degree to Criminal Justice. I’ve always been interested in the criminal mind, so I thought I might want to work in that field. While going to college I took a theater class and fell in love with it. I was very shy growing up but really broke out of that when I started to go to college and focused on health and fitness, that’s where I started to gain more confidence in myself.
I was at a local metal concert in Minnesota in 2005. I had a photographer come up to me, gave me his business card, told me he loved my look and wanted to do a photoshoot with me. At the time I thought he was just some creeper because I’ve never had anyone ask me that before. I did have a unique look at the time; it was a metal/goth girl look so I guess he liked that. Like I said, I was going to school for Criminal Justice at the time and doing that kind of thing wasn’t even on my mind. A few months passed and I stumbled upon his business card. I said what the hell and set up a shoot. From that day on I was hooked! I loved being in front of the camera. I did a bunch of modeling over the next few months and just fell in love with the creativeness of it all and I loved to express myself, it was such a freeing feeling. Soon after that I was browsing the internet and came across a casting call for a short horror film and they were looking for someone that fit me perfectly. I knew I had to check this out. I met the filmmakers at a local coffee shop; they loved my look and attitude and hired me on the spot! That short film is also where I met my man, Joe Knetter. He played the killer. Joe and I didn’t get together till a few years and a few films later. Joe has played a key role in my life over the years and I am so grateful for him. We make one hell of a team, that’s for sure! You just never know where life is going to take you. I guess all the killing and mayhem in my first film kind of sealed the deal for us ha-ha! As the saying goes, it’s all history after that!
2. Did your parents support you in the decision you made to be an actor?
Overall yes. I think they thought it was a “hobby” for me but when I quit my 9-5 job in Minnesota to move out to California, it became more real. It was a big risk and challenge to move, but in order to grow I had to and am very happy I made that decision.
3. What was the role you liked the most?
That’s a tough question and it’s always changing. They're all special to me in many ways. But if I had to pick a favorite movie and role, it would have to be my character "Faye" from my films BLIND and PRETTY BOY. Faye is special to me in many ways. BLIND started from a dream that our director Marcel Walz had, and writer Joe Knetter took that dream and created the screenplay BLIND. In BLIND, Faye is an actress that is at the height of her career; she lives in a beautiful house in the Hollywood hills, and decides to get laser eye surgery. Something goes wrong and she ends up blind. We meet her a year or so into her life as a newly blind woman. She’s depressed, she’s not working, and she feels alone, her whole life is turned upside down. The friends she thought she had have all drifted away, because let’s be honest, in Hollywood if you can’t be of value to someone, your Hollywood "friends" disappear. So, throughout the film she is trying to find herself and regain her life back and within that she starts to fall back in love with herself and Luke, played by Tyler Gallant, who has been by her side since she started therapy. She is also helped by her friend Sophia, Caroline Williams, who she met in therapy as well. While Faye is trying to regain her life back, she’s being stalked by "Pretty Boy", played by Jed Rowen.
This is such a special role for me because there are so many emotions going on throughout the film. When I read the script I cried, I felt Faye and what she was going through. I immersed myself in that character. Even when we were done shooting, weeks after I would find myself crying in the bathtub and going through cupboards without looking. It was that close to me. The same goes with the sequel PRETTY BOY too. It was such an honor to bring Faye back to life for a second time! The first day I stepped back on set, in costume, in character, I cried. It was an emotional moment and I'm so grateful for the opportunity. Joe Knetter writes beautiful scripts with so many layers and gave me so much to work with. Its character driven and I love those kinds of scripts. You feel for the characters and you're along for the ride with them. Marcel Walz directed his heart out with both films and gave so much beauty to them along with Thomas Rist who DP'd BLIND and added so many beautiful colors and beauty to each scene, same goes with Michael Su who DP'd PRETTY BOY and added so much beauty to that one as well. BLIND is a 70s style slow burn drama with horror elements and PRETTY BOY is our ode to the 80s style slasher. We all love horror, and we want to incorporate the different time period feels to each film. BLIND is available on most streaming platforms through Uncorked and PRETTY BOY should be coming out later this year through Lionsgate. We also have more planned up our sleeves... so stay tuned!
4. What do you think led you to fame?
That’s an interesting question. Fame is a byproduct of the work you’ve done. I just want to do good work, work that I can be really proud of, and of course pay the bills! That’s my focus, not the fame.
5. What types of characters you would like to interpret?
I’ve been really fortunate to play a lot of amazing roles over the years that have really challenged me. I never like playing the same thing or typecasting myself. I like to think outside the box and really challenge myself with each role I take on. That’s what I love about working in the horror genre. I feel like the horror genre empowers women, especially now a days. More and more women are becoming stronger and stronger in film, and I love to see that! Those are the kind of roles I love to take on, strong female characters, and I've been fortunate to get many roles like that over the last few years. In the past I used to be that naked girl running around getting murdered or whatever, now I'm the lead female character kicking ass and taking names. It’s all a part of the growing process. Yes, back in the day I loved the small part victim roles, but as I get older, I've focused more on the strong female lead. For example, in the BLIND and PRETTY BOY franchise some may see Faye as the "victim" but that’s not the way I see her. Throughout BLIND she has to fight her own demons and within that she becomes stronger mentally. In PRETTY BOY things change and she has to become even stronger mentally because now she’s not fighting her own demons, she needs the strength to fight for her life. She can’t physically fight, but she can find it within her to fight mentally and to not give up.
Another role I took on and want to do more of is a space adventure action film that is coming out May 2, 2023 is, “SPACE WARS: Quest for the Deepstar”. I'm super excited about this film because I get to play an ass kicking, bad ass woman and I do all my own stunts in the film! I trained in Vegas with my co-star Tyler Gallant and we also trained in LA before the shoot. I've always done my own "light stunts" as I'd like to say, throughout the years, but this one I go all in. Joe Knetter wrote a beautiful, action packed script and Garo Setian directed his heart out and gave it his all. This was a dream project for all of us and I'm very excited for everyone to see this! It’s another role I've always wanted to bring to life, and everyone did such an amazing job on it. You guys are going to LOVE it! Old school space adventure, which I love.
This is a tough industry; there is no question about it. You have to be mentally prepared and strong because this industry will eat you alive if you are not. You need to stay strong; stays focused, and always keep fighting. That’s why I love playing characters I've had the opportunity to bring to life over the last few years, because in each character, there is always a piece of me that is within that character and I sure as hell can relate to them.
6. What actresses and actors do you feel comfortable working with?
I enjoy working with artists that are passionate, bring their “A” game at all times, and have a positive attitude. I’m very grateful to be doing what I do for a living and I will never take it for granted. I’ve also put the work in and have worked very hard to be where I’m at today. If I’m working with someone who is dramatic, has a poor attitude, I remember that and it doesn’t sit well with me. If you don’t love what you’re doing, then do something else. This is a big industry but a small world, just remember that.
7. In what other genres of art would you like to participate? (Works of theater, music, among others)
I’m very focused on acting, mostly in features and TV. I've worked really hard to be where I'm at today. I'm very selective with what I take now and generally turn down a lot. But I have a path I'm on and if it doesn’t help me move forward, I can't do it. I've already moved behind the camera besides being an actress. I just formed a production company with Marcel Walz and Joe Knetter called Neon Noir. Our goal with the company is to create visually stunning films that are both artistic and commercial. We wrapped our first feature film late last year under our new company called, "THATS A WRAP”. It’s a giallo slasher that takes place in a film studio. Marcel Walz directed it, and Joe Knetter and Robert L. Lucas wrote it and we have great talent like Cerina Vincent from Cabin Fever along with Monique Parent, Dave Sheridan, and Robert Donavan along with many more amazing cast. Our DP is Marcus Friedlander nailed what we wanted the film to look like, and his team is just as amazing. We are very excited about THATS A WRAP and can’t wait to get it out there! Lots of great plans for that film and the future of our new company!
8. Do you have any anecdotes that have marked you in your life and as a person?
If you have a dream, chase it. Take risks, take chances. No risk = no reward. Work hard, stay consistent, and keep those close to you that support you. Life is not easy in any way, use the lows in your life as fuel for the fire to learn and grow. Strength comes from within.
9. What has been your greatest achievement?
Following my dreams, taking chances, and not giving up. To still be doing this and be able to pay my bills is something most people never get an opportunity to do. I never forget how lucky I am to be doing this. And it takes a bit of luck. But you have to put yourself in the position to get lucky. It doesn’t happen sitting home on the couch. I work hard, push myself and know my value. Saying no to projects can be hard. Especially when some are great. But they need to be right for me and my journey.
10. What projects will you make next and which ones do you have in mind?
As far as the near future, 2023 is already shaping up to be a great year! I have projects in the works as we speak and a handful of releases coming this year, including SPACE WARS coming May 2nd to digital and May 9th to DVD! Lionsgate will be releasing PRETTY BOY at some point. Hopefully this year. I’m starting a feature in May with filmmakers Joe Cornet and Alexander Nevsky. Really excited to be working with this wonderful duo and I’ll share more when I can! Neon Noir is also in full swing on our newest production, which we’ll be filming early June 2023. It’s brutal and beautiful and I can’t wait to share more on that soon! I’m always posting on social media and keeping everyone up to date on my projects, so be sure to stay up to date with me! You can find me on Instagram at @sarahfrenchonline and Facebook at Sarah French and Twitter at @scarlet_salem. I love to interact with my fans so be sure to say hi!
11. Would you like to make a movie in Spain?
If it’s the right project for me, of course! I love to travel and work.
12. You like Spanish cinema?
Spanish horror is great! I especially liked The Orphanage and Pan’s Labyrinth.
Thank you for the interview!

Biography:
Sarah French is an actress originally from Minnesota but now makes her home in Los Angeles, California. She has brought her talents to several feature films (Blind, Pretty Boy, The Special, Death Count), TV shows (The Last Tycoon, Girl in the Picture, The Curse of Robert the Doll) and music videos (AC/DC, Killswitch Engage, Witherfall). She found a love of horror films at an early age after discovering 'Child's Play' at a local video store. To this day it remains her number one genre of film. She is an avid hiker and cross trains regularly which allows her to do her own stunts in projects. Her mantra is: "If I'm not working on a project, I'm working on myself." Sarah believes in being positive and professional in both work and life and always looks forward to new opportunities and challenges.
.               “Space Wars” poster
.  Screen grab “Space Wars: Quest for the        Deepstar”
.                     “Blind” poster
.          On set of “That’s a Wrap”
.            Screen grab “Pretty Boy”





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing the actress Gio Di Oliveira

Interviewing actress Carolyn Meyer

Interviewing the actress Gabriela Kulaif