Interviewing actress Hannah Blaine ("Budgie")


1.How long have you been in the theater world?

 I attended drama club when I was 6 years old and suddenly became very obsessed with any school production, that’s where my love for theatre began! From there I went to the BRIT School at the ages of 14-18 to study theatre. In 2022 I graduated from Fourth Monkey with a BA in acting and since then I have been trying to navigate the acting world. 

 2.- How did the idea of ​​"Budgie" come about?

Budgie began as a small scene written in a script writing course I attended at Central School of Speech & Drama. The scene lived in a notebook for about 2 years, but was always something I felt could be taken further. After my training had finished I decided to revisit the scene and it developed from there. There have been multiple endings, different journeys and ideas for the play, it’s mainly been a process of writing, re writing and re writing again over the past few years. 



 3.- tell me a little about the plot.

Budgie follows the day in the life of best friends, Yaz and Tyler. One evening, Yaz reveals to Tyler that her mum has disappeared, and in her place left £1,000. The two discover a new world of boundlessness as they decide on the best ways to splash the cash. It is a nostalgic coming of age story that plays on the see-saw of responsibility and freedom. The play comments on our society that pressures teens into making decisions about their futures and grapples with the concept of suddenly becoming an adult in the ‘real world’. The playful, adolescent energy of the piece coincides with themes of abandonment, mental health and female friendship.


 4.- Was it hard to write this Show?

Yes & no! I have found it easy to write the voices of Yaz & Tyler - maybe because so much of what they say comes from my own feelings and opinions. There is a relatability to the language and the conversational mannerisms of the pair is what I often found easy. However, following a plot and ensuring the journey of the play is effective has been where I struggle. It’s all well and good that the characters engage in honest & connected conversation, but not great if they never leave the train station bench they were sat on in scene 1! 


 5.- What do you like more, comedy or drama?

I love a drama. Anything BBC, gritty, David Tennant looking mysterious on the edge of a cliff - I’m in. 

 6.- Can you tell me a funny anecdote from the rehearsals.

Rehearsals are always fun working along side Lilla & Fliss! Although creating a show can be stressful, making sure we enjoy the journey is our main priority. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing the actress Gio Di Oliveira

Interviewing actress Carolyn Meyer

Interviewing the actress Gabriela Kulaif