Interviewing actress Emma Argyle


1-. How was your childhood?
I grew up in Leeds, West Yorkshire (England). I have some lovely memories such as going on family holidays to the coast, spending school holidays with my grandparents and obsessing over Pokémon (as most 90’s kids did!).
I was a very shy child, and I went through a phase of running away in tears if anyone attempted to catch me on camera (the irony!).
From my early teens, I began to suffer with mental health issues of which I battled with for around 2 decades. I am happy to report that these issues do not impact my life now as they did.
Although, we cannot regret the past as it makes us who we are today.
If I did not experience what I did, I would not be able to easily access such strong emotional recall that is needed to perform complex characters and their difficult emotions.
2. - From what age did you decide to be an actress and how did you know you had the skills to go on TV?
I never knew I had the skills to act, and I didn’t pursue this for a long time due to lack of confidence.
When it came to my 30th birthday, I felt like I hadn’t achieved much in my life. It was missing the feeling of accomplishment and sheer joy.
Not long after, I decided I will give acting a go, to see if I have what it takes to become an actress.
After attending my first acting class, I never turned back!!
I am passionate and determined to constantly develop and honing my acting skills.
3. - Did your parents support you in the decision you made to be an actress?
My parents are certainly supportive in my decision, and they are pleased that I enjoy it so much.
In their words, ‘you were always a drama queen!’. In British humour terms, that is their affectionate way to say that they approve.
4. - What was your first appearance on the screens?
My first appearance was in ‘Witchborne’, a student film that was excellently executed and screened at Leeds Beckett University. This was very exciting, and I look forward to seeing myself on the big screen more in the future!
5. - What was the role you liked the most?
To present, the roles I have played include:
Therapist - Helen (Bite The Hand – Most Vertical Pictures, Directed by Emily Jane Matthews)
Wife – Nichola (Over Me – House 84 Production, Directed by Ryan Dobson)
Prisoner (Witchborne – Northern Film School, Directed by Szilard Pusztai)
I enjoyed each role for different reasons, but I must pick out the role of Nichola.
Nichola is a feisty lady, who finds out some damning news about her husband, and decides confronts him whilst she is intoxicated from a night out!
It was a brilliant character to get my teeth into.
6.- What do you think led you to fame?
Fame is not on my agenda, however being an exceptionally talented actress is! Fame will be a consequence of this, I am sure.
Being a tenacious and hardworking individual, I’m positive that I will reach my goal.
The one thing I must say, is that with any fame that comes my way, I am determined to stay the same humble and down to earth person that I am today.
Fame would be an opportunity to inspire the next generation of actors/actresses by showing that it is never too late to realise your dreams, also to be a role model to young girls and women with the message of being authentic and being true to yourself.
7-. What types of characters you would like to interpret?
I would love to interpret a character that is going through emotional turmoil and portraying mental health issues. I am passionate about removing the stigma that is associated with mental health and raising awareness.
I’m also keen on being part of a police drama series such as Line of Duty (a British drama series), these type of shows have me completely hooked.
On the flip side, I’d like to play a comedic role! I truly believe that laughter is the best medicine – if I can help others laugh and smile, that would be a wonderful achievement.
8-. What actresses and actors do you feel comfortable working with?
I feel comfortable with most people on set - I am an open book, and I make that effort to make others smile and laugh (with my wit and terrible ‘Dad Jokes’) so that we can enjoy the experience together.
Of course, it helps if others are open and being themselves, but we are all not the same which is ok.
Different people work in different ways, once you understand that, you can feel comfortable around others without second guessing their thoughts and feelings towards you. Understanding this can help to adjust your approach, to seek that common ground in order to work together.
9-. In what other genres of art would you like to participate? (Works of theatre, music,
among others)
I actively participate in stage acting, at my local Drama Group.
Bramham Drama Group (West Yorkshire, England) is a fantastic group that have been running, and putting on a heck of a show, for over 20 years!
I feel very privileged to be welcomed into their circle, also to be offered the part of Principle Girl (Goldilocks) in my first stage appearance in the 2022 Pantomime.
My intention is to continue taking part in their productions, I’m currently waiting on the result of my most recent auditions for this year’s Pantomime – ‘Alice In Wonderland’
I wonder who I will be?! Watch this space!
10.- Do you have any anecdotes that have marked you in your life and as a person?
This feels like the most difficult question! There have been many situations and events that have shaped who I am today.
In recent months I have been listening to numerous meditations and inspirational speeches. This is because I believe in the Law of Attraction and the power of Manifestation.
The inspirational speech by T.D. Jakes (YouTube https://youtu.be/MlbRDUXNF9c) really got to me. There is a specific part where he speaks about us being the seed, and that when a seed is planted in a tiny amount of soil (environment) it cannot grow, if the seed is thrown in the middle of rocks, the seed has even less chance as the rocks do not provide what the seed needs. It really helped me understand my own journey and the environment that was/ wasn’t helping me grow in at different times in my life.
This, without a doubt, has had a resounding effect on me.
11.- What has been your greatest achievement?
My greatest achievement is constantly pushing myself out of my comfort zone, this hasn’t been easy due to my past, but I firmly believe that we only grow when we push ourselves into uncomfortable situations.
The fact that I am acting, let alone in front of a camera or audience, is just short of a miracle really!
12.- What projects will you make next and which ones do you have in mind?
I have several projects coming up, this includes:
Modelling on two dates in August (I started modelling before acting, which certainly helped to boost my confidence to meet new people and being in front of a camera).
Sitcom project, of which my character is the barmaid, will be filmed in September / October.
Short sequence (dark comedy) to be filmed September / October, where I play a character that has taken another person hostage and seeking revenge with a comedic twist at the end.
Pantomime – role TBC and rehearsals begin September. Performances in November / December.
Also, I am working on becoming a member of Spotlight, and seeking an agent to assist my journey with their guidance and well-established contacts in the industry for screen acting.
13.- Would you like to make a movie in Spain?
Acting in a Spanish movie would be a fantastic opportunity. I believe we should all enrich our lives with experiencing different cultures.
I studied Spanish at school for around 6 years, but I would need to brush up on my language skills first!
14.- you like spanish cinema?
I haven’t had much experience with Spanish Cinema, however this interview has certainly given me the opportunity to consider more Spanish films, thank you for this Carlos.
Whilst studying at school I watched Pan’s Labyrinth – I loved this film! I even bought the DVD and watched it repeatedly at home.
Recently I have watched Bajocero (Below Zero) directed by Lluis Quilez and staring Javier Gutierrez. I was really kept on the edge of my seat! There were elements of shocking (and unexpected) brutality, then the ending had a good little twist – I would recommend this to your readers.
Thank you, Carlos, for the opportunity to interview with you, in giving me the chance to open-up and share a little bit of myself with everyone.
You are doing some amazing work, Carlos!
Mil gracias y hablaremos pronto!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing the actress Gio Di Oliveira

Interviewing actress Carolyn Meyer

Interviewing the actress Gabriela Kulaif