Interviewing the actress Salomé Paulo



1-. How was your childhood?
My childhood I would say was pretty average. I grew up in Buenos Aires, we were a family of 5; my mum (actress), dad (neurosurgeon) and little brother and sister.
I was very shy as a kid, but I always had this very clear artistic side, where I would spend hours playing scenes from tv shows in my room, learning Musical Theatre songs, picking up my mum from drama class, going to the theatre, or going to a restaurant with her classmates talking about plays, etc. All of that was only natural to me. Acting was always a big part of my life from an early age.
2. - From what age did you decide to be an actress and how did you know you had theskills to go on TV?
I wanted to be an actress from when I was very young. Maybe it wasn't super clear in my mind that the answer was acting, but I always had this drive towards art in general and finding different ways of expression. I always felt very connected to art in so many ways. I think that once I started taking acting classes and became more immersed in this world, there was no way back. It just was a matter of accepting who I am and what I am here to do.
3. - Did your parents support you in the decision you made to be an actress?
Ummm… not entirely from the very beginning, I guess all parents want stability for their children, so it took them a minute or 2. But after they realise that I was serious about it, they became my biggest fans.
4. - What was your first appearance on the screens?
Back home (Buenos Aires), I did a couple of tv shows as a dancer (back then I was mostly focused on Musical Theatre) and then my last year living back home, I started doing a lot of short-films. I auditioned for a role, I got the part and then I got on so well with the director and team in general that they kept calling me to work in all their projects, which was dreamy. Being called and remembered for doing a good job and being easy to work with, it’s ideal.
5. - What was the role you liked the most?
A loved a lot of roles that I played. I think one of my favourite ones was the character of Laura in a short film called “High Fidelity” there was something about that character that felt so easy to portray as it was beautifully written.
6.- What do you think led you to fame?
I am not sure I am there yet, I had good moments… but, the best is yet to come, always.
7-. What types of characters you would like to interpret?
I like strong female characters. At the moment, I feel very inspired by all the work that Reese Witherspoon is doing, producing and telling stories with strong female roles written by female authors. I mostly love to do comedy though, anything that makes people laugh and lift their spirit up. The dream would be a sitcom on the style of Modern Family.
8-. What actresses and actors do you feel comfortable working with?
Anyone that has a positive and team orientated mindset. We’re all on set doing our part, and the priority is always the story that we’re telling. That means that you have to leave the ego at the door and focus on the work.
9-. In what other genres of art would you like to participate? (Works of theater, music,
among others)
I love theatre, and I am always open to do a theatrical project. However, I feel very screen focused right now, I think screen is where my creativity flows best.
I am now also doing a lot of VO and dubbin work for the BBC which is a very enjoyable experience.
10.- Do you have any anecdotes that have marked you in your life and as a person?
Moving to London was something that totally marked me. I was doing quite well back home, but I had this feeling of wanting something more. It was a total leap of faith, as I have never been in England before, not even Europe. And of course, part of me was scared, but it just felt right... and it was. I started my life from 0 again, and it wasn't always easy. Living in a different culture, a language that I barely spoke, away from family and friends, and do acting in a different language... but it paid off. It was the right choice to follow my intuition, and I try to remind myself of this "jump" that I took, to keep applying it in different moments of my life.
11.- What has been your greatest achievement?
I think my biggest achievement is on their way to me. We are always chasing something bigger, which makes life even more exiting. The best is yet to come, always.
12.- What projects will you make next and which ones do you have in mind?
Right now, I am trying to focus on breaking into episodic television. TV is where I would love to go; I just love the idea of exploring the same character in different scenarios, helping that character to go through different situations, that's something that film or theatre can't provide you with, and to me that's just fascinating!
13.- Would you like to make a movie in Spain?
Yes!! I love Spain and I watch a lot of Spanish tv shows, and read Spanish authors as well. I would love to travel over there and do some work. I actually just finished watching “Valeria” and I would love to do a project like that.
14.- you like spanish cinema?
Yes, love it. Spanish and Argentinian cinema and tv are just great. I made my boyfriend fan of “La Casa de Papel” (Money Heist), we’re kind of obsessed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing the actress Gio Di Oliveira

Interviewing actress Carolyn Meyer

Interviewing the actress Gabriela Kulaif