Interviewing the writer Aleksandra Tryniecka


1.-How was your childhood?
Throughout my childhood I used to live in an imaginary world and surround myself with imaginary characters. That was the result of my reading passion, developed and encouraged by my parents. During my childhood, I used to read and write a lot, and it has not changed until this day.
 2.-Did your parents support you when it came to being a writer?
I'm very grateful to my parents for their constant support on my literary journey as a writer!
 3.-How did you come up with the idea of your Bunkies characters?
Bunky the Hippo – the main protagonist of my novel Bunky and the Walms: The Christmas Story was born – at least, as an idea – in May 2019 during a conference in London. It happened when I noticed in one of the stores a very specific plush toy – a blue hippo. The hippo's face was quite ambiguous – he was simultaneously happy and critical. I was surprised to discover that there was the entire range of conflicting emotions on the hippo's face and still, overall, he appeared to be a very likeable character. I thought that this peculiar range of emotions is characteristic of us, humans – with our better and worse days and varying feelings residing in our hearts. I also wondered that there might be a great story hiding behind the hippo's slightly disapproving smile. This is how my Bunky came to life – the protagonist of Bunky and the Walms who is slightly imperfect (just like all of us!), but always strives to be noble and good at heart. My hope was to introduce on the literary scene a relatable character who could be fully accepted by the Readers with both of his characteristics: imperfections and a beautiful heart. On my return from London, I instantly began writing the novel. In August 2021 I took a thread and a needle and made my literary character, Bunky, as well as his clothes. What followed, I also sewed the Bunky Princess, Rodney, Plum, and Maurice – other characters from my book. My purpose was to expand the literary world from Bunky and the Walms and create the characters who could become Readers' friends also in their reality – therefore, I started a Youtube channel with Bunky and his friends presenting all-year-round adventures. My hope is that one day, in the future, Bunky and the Walms might become a movie.
 4.-How do you manage the success of your books?
Bunky and the Walms: The Christmas Story is my debut novel published in October 2021. Here I would like to thank my amazing Publisher – Wipf & Stock/ Resource Publications for turning this dream into reality! At present, in 2023, Bunky and the Walms has received 11 literary awards, including the Book of the Year from the Chrysalis BREW Project (2021) and the Bookfest award (the second place in Children's Chapter Books category, 2022). Since the publication of Bunky and the Walms, my life has undergone numerous changes. Partially, it even turned into a dreamlike state in which my literary characters, the Readers, and I accompany Bunky on his literary journey together. Before becoming an author, I didn't have social media and I was slightly intimidated by the internet. After the publication of my novel, I became active on social media and participated in numerous podcasts and interviews. In no time, a very beautiful Reading Community formed around Bunky, and we all became connected by the hope that a noble, magical, and positive life is still possible in the world which isn't always the happiest place, yet which can be changed for the better thanks to one's persistence, goodness, and selflessness. I fully attribute the success of my novel to Bunky himself and my to my other literary characters as well. I believe that they are very relatable and so likeable that the Readers prefer spending time with them than me. J On a personal note, I adore spending time with my Bunky. He became a living presence in my life, especially after I sewed him and his clothes and began recording his YouTube adventures. His presence oftentimes allows me to deal with the trails and tribulations of daily life and always reminds me that the beautiful magic of a noble heart holds the greatest power in life. Currently, while working on the second part of the book, I am deeply immersed in Bunky's story and sometimes feel as if Bunky and I were living in his fairyland – Walmland – on the very same street! I know that this feeling is shared by many Readers of Bunky and the Walms and, actually, it is the most beautiful gift to me – the knowledgethat I could create and introduce a character who, on entering both the literary plane and our actual world, could become Readers' forever friend. Therefore, I also believe that the success of Bunky and the Walms should be attributed to the Readers, and I would like to thank them so much for befriending my Bunky: despite the sad state of our world, I discovered that there are many individuals who feel just like Bunky and long for a peaceful and positively magical world.
 5.-Which writers influenced you when it came to being a writer?
In my writing career I am greatly influenced by the amazing C.S. Lewis whose Narnia became my childhood home. Additionally, one of my favourite literary characters is the Cheshire Cat appearing in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. The writer whom I greatly admire both as an author and an individual is Oscar Wilde. I greatly value Oscar Wilde for his individuality, complexity and unmatched brilliance, and I greatly enjoy his plays.
 6.- In literature, which genres do you like the most?
My favourite literary genres are: children's novels and nineteenth-century British novels. I greatly value children's novels as a writer and a reader, and I enjoy the peace and elegance of the nineteenth-century texts both as a reader and a scholar.
 7.-Do you have a special place when writing to be calm?
My favourite writing spot is either at my desk or outside on the terrace, among the flowers – always with my favourite cup of tea.
 8.-What adjective do you think describes you best?
I would like to hope that I might be “bunkyful”! J “Bunkyful” is the word invented by Bunky and it signifies someone or something good, noble, inviting, happy and, on the whole, positive!
 9.-What is the most rewarding job you have done?
I feel that everything I do can be perceived as the most rewarding job. I am an assistant professor in my daily life, and it is my dreamlike job. Even though this work is oftentimes very demanding, I wouldn't call it specifically a “job”, as it reshaped into my passion. Consequently, I am blessed to work in the area of literature both as a scholar and a writer. I also feel that spending time with my wonderful students is one of the greatest blessings of my life. Naturally, I find writing very rewarding and fulfilling as well. It allows me to structure my reality and the world around me. I don't think I would be able to live or exist without writing. I feel that if we love a given job, it will never be a mere task to perform, but always much more than that, defining us and expanding our horizons of cognition, perception, empathy and intellect.
 10.- How do you feel winning literature prizes?
I still feel like living in a dream while thinking about it! Seeing Bunky and the Walms receiving literary awards is like watching the most bunkyful movie – and still, oftentimes, I cannot believe that it is actually happening in my life! I am beyond grateful and honoured for every literary prize, every kind word, and every amazing act of kindness I have received from my Readers, Family, Friends, and Fellow Authors on this very bunkyful literary journey! I hope to never disappoint you!
Moreover, I would like to invite you to visit my website: www.aleksandratryniecka.com where you can also discover my new book: Women's Literary Portraits in the Victorian and Neo-Victorian Novel (2023) and, naturally, learn more about Bunky and read our Bunkyful Blog!
I would also like to invite the Readers to visit and subscribe to Bunky's Bunkyful YouTube channel:
Thank you so much! J
With many bunkyful wishes,
Aleksandra Tryniecka & Bunky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing the actress Gio Di Oliveira

Interviewing actress Carolyn Meyer

Interviewing the actress Gabriela Kulaif