Interviewing actress Kaye Laine


1-. How was your childhood?
I had an interesting childhood. There’s a lot of good and bad. I was born in Florida, at a Naval base hospital in Jacksonville. You don’t remember it really because we moved when I was about a year old to Oregon where my dad‘s family was. I’m the second oldest of six kids and part of my life I grew up on a farm in Albany, Oregon. What I value about being second oldest is that sharing a room helped me value being a roommate later on in my life. Because the house that I lived in was a three bedroom mobile home. And one of my siblings had a bed in the closet. But I do value learning, how to take care of animals, taking care of a garden and canning those vegetables with my mother and sisters. I learned how to milk goats. And my father taught me how to sew. When I turned 12 we moved to the city of Albany, Oregon. And my parents grew their separate ways. They had affairs, and you don’t know how much kids can see things. When we lived on the farm, my dad was a little bit abusive with a leather belt, or we would have to go find a switch, a stick, to get beaten, and if one kid was in trouble, we all were spanked. But when we moved into the city, I do have to be thankful for the affairs that he was having, because it kept him busy and the physical abuse slowed down. The only performance, my father ever attended when I was growing up was when I was in kindergarten, and it was the holiday Christmas event, and I played a sugar plum fairy, but he never came to anything else, and his excuse was that he didn’t the type of music in the musicals I was performing in, or the theater productions weren’t his taste. But most of the time my mother was there to support me. But as a child growing up, I always performed in theater productions, and roles were often handed to me. as I became older in high school, I performed in an a cappella choir group and we were able to go on a few tours. And this continued to follow me after and now I am a member of
SAG-AFTRA. On the other hand, I also loved Fashion. My father taught me how to sew, even helped me design my own prom dress in high school. And I use that later on in my life as well when I design for a small fashion line that I own for a while. And even dresses that I wore on the red carpet. There are a number of entities that go into the film industry. TV, film, music, Makeup, fashion, etc.. but one other entity I discovered about myself is that I loved Dance and I was able to be like I’ve stated before a background dancer. I did that in grammar school, middle school and high school and I’ve been able to be a background dancer even on a few sets for television shows. I have a history in doing swing, country western (couples), ethnic, and a few more.
2.- From what age did you decide to be an actress and how did you know you had theskills to go on TV?
Since I was a young child, I always enjoyed getting a reaction out of people. My family didn’t have a really good TV and the rabbit ears didn’t work that well. So I didn’t know too much about Actors, TV, and theater. I spent a lot of my childhood playing outside. When I started kindergarten at the age of five is when I found out how amazing the stage was. And that’s when I started getting cast into school productions, and I usually didn’t have to audition. My mother would help me with my lines and make sure they’re always memorized. When I was in high school, I started a few musicals as a background dancer and background singer. Just to name a few was the musical Cats, and the Secret Garden. Also, in high school, I learned about production, theater, Makeup , and theater lighting. But I didn’t know I could continue after high
school. I always felt that a true movie star was actually born into a celebrity's home or it was just the luck of it because they lived in Hollywood.
3.- Did your parents support you in the decision you made to be an actress?
I didn’t really know that I had the option of being an actress. I was raised that you get married, have children, go to church, and maybe go to college in the middle of all of it. But there’s a time in my life when I hit my 30s that I became a swimsuit model for a period of time and became a Tropic Beauty. Following, also in my 30s, I became a ring girl and received first place when competing against a handful of 20-year-olds. This came with a large following on social media, and one of my fans reached out and asked me to be in a Kevin Sorbo production. This experience sparked my interest in acting again. I played a judge's wife in one of his movies.
From there I continued to work on a number of productions as background, stand in, and even had the chance of being an executive producer on a few projects. I have been able to learn, not only what it takes to be in front of the camera, but behind the scenes as well. This includes production breakdown, from hiring actors, make-up artists, set-design etc.
4.- What was your first appearance on the screens?
My first appearance on the screen was when I was 19 years old, and I played in a book commercial, with Rainbow End books, which was a local commercial in the city of Albany, and a few other commercials in Oregon, and I did a few fashion shows. My first true appearance on a movie was when I was asked to perform Mrs. Trosper, the judge's wife in a Kevin Sorbo film.
And from working really hard at most of the studios in the Los Angeles area, Sony Fox, Warner Brothers, etc. I was able to become a member of SAG-AFTRA.
5.- What was the role you liked the most?
My favorite role that I’ve played on screen was on the show New Girl as an angry mother in season seven episode one. I've been able to play a scientist on the show Picard. This is just to name a few.
6.- What do you think led you to fame?
I’m still working on that part. I had a huge following when I was younger, being a swimsuit model, and a ring girl. And I knew how to work the audience, especially in social media, but I took a break during a time period due my divorce, and placing my kids first. When I went back to social media, it was a whole new and different ball game. Currently I am learning the different angles of social media. I have some projects in the making, and I have a book that just came out called “Stronger than I know.” Which shares my downfalls and triumphs, and that therapy is OK. These are just a few stepping stones to help build a brand.
7-. What types of characters would you like to interpret?
In the last year and a half I’ve had the opportunity to do stand-up comedy, especially after the 2020 lockdown for Covid. And I would really like to enhance a few of my comedy characters. One of them is a 1950s housewife. I like to lighten up and make fun of that time period. Plus, I love wearing the dresses of that time period too. And I’m still working on a few other characters.
8-. What actresses and actors do you feel comfortable working with?
There’s a few good actors out there, I’ve worked with Zooey Deschanel, Reese Witherspoon, Anna Ferris, Sandra Bullock, and many more, but I was just a speck of dust on the set they were on. And you can’t talk to the principal actors when you’re on the set or you might even be blacklisted. They have to stay professional, and have their lines/script memorized and you can’t interfere with that.
9-. In what other genres of art would you like to participate? (Works of theater, music, among others)
I have lived quite a life already. I love dancing, I enjoy rhythm and moving my body and seeing how far I can work with it. I’ve had the opportunity to have a fashion line at one time, and who knows I could move forward with that again. I also had the opportunity to dabble in theater Makeup. I’ve had the opportunity of creating short films and being on both sides of the camera. And last year I was able to enter a film into my first film festival. But what I would like to do more of and really get a hold of is my Comedy side. And do more stand-up comedy and get that out there to the world.
10.- Do you have any anecdotes that have marked you in your life and as a person?
Everything is through trial and error. When I was younger I modeled quite a bit and was in fashion magazines, look Books online and was able to walk in LA fashion week, even though I’m only 5'6". And that’s too short for being a runway model. But through working with designers and modeling their clothes, I was able to learn the fashion industry on what to do, and what not to do, and what I could do better if I owned my own fashion line. And I had one in the past, and I still made my own mistakes. And that’s the same with being an actor. From every audition that I’ve been to, or production I’ve been in, I’ve learned what I could do better. I’m not sure if there’s any perfect step process to do things to best, but always learn from your mistakes and try to be open minded. And to add to it, you need to find your center, learn how to relax, if it’s through meditation or what each person has. You find it and work with it. And take Acting classes because it’s better to surround yourself with like-minded people. I’ve had the opportunity to work with some really great actors that I’ve seen and film for my table, reading classes, method, classes, and my favorite, the Actors Lab, which taught me how to be in front of a camera, better, and how to enter my first film festival. And most important is the Comedy classes that I’ve taken with Jimmy Shin, and being able to perform with his group, called the shindig. Within the shindig, I was able to perform with Darrell Hammond, Jamie Kennedy, and a handful of other amazing comedians.
11.- What has been your greatest achievement?
My greatest achievement is my three children. They’ve been my best audience and put up with my humor. And once I forgot, part of a bit on stage in my daughter was sitting right in the front and threw out one word, and it got me right back into the role of my comedy bit. I’ve tried to teach him the way Mom thinks because sometimes I’m just looking for a reaction and things just flow off my tongue without me even thinking about it.
My greatest achievements are still yet to come when it comes to the world of performing, and all the entities that make it up.
12.- What projects will you make next and which ones do you have in mind?
I have a few projects that are up my sleeve, but that’s for me to know and you find out. What I can share is that it has something to do with Comedy.
13.- Would you like to make a movie in Spain?
I wouldn’t mind making a movie in Spain. My Spanish is not very good but with practice it could be better. I took three Spanish classes in college. But still, I’m very rusty. But if it needs an American girl with an American accent. This girl next-door is ready for you
14.- you like spanish cinema?
The Spanish cinema that I do like is the soap opera. I love how overdramatized the characters are. I love the culture. to add to all of this I was nominated Latin model of the year in 2015 with Vive Latina America, they were trying to make their program more bilingual, and I was Miss Abril (April). Plus, I’ve had so many other opportunities. I look forward to so much more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing the actress Gio Di Oliveira

Interviewing actress Carolyn Meyer

Interviewing the actress Gabriela Kulaif