Interviewing actor Oscar Torre



1-. How was your childhood?
I was born and raised in Miami. My parent immigrated from Cuba at the beginning of the revolution. I had a great childhood, we weren't affluent but we had love at home. My younger brother Josy and I spent all our time outdoors. When we weren't at the park playing baseball, we were playing football in the middle of the street or basketball at a neighbor's house.
2-. From what age did you decide to be a actor and filmmaker and how did you know you had the skills to go on TV?
I didn't start acting until college. I took an elective acting class because it was the only one available at the time I needed. I didn't know I had any talent for it. It wasn't until I did an acting exercise that the teacher pulled me aside and told me that maybe I should explore this more and she invited me to another class she taught with more advanced students. For almost the first year I sat and watched in class and did not participate but by that point I started to feel that maybe I could be an actor, if I worked hard.
3-. Did your parents support you in the decision you made to be an actor?
I'm sure my parents thought I was crazy when I told them that I wanted to act but they always supported me. My mom is very creative, so I believe she did not hate the idea of having an actor son. They said to me, be the best you can be. You have nothing to lose in trying.
4-. What was your first appearance on the screens?
I was an extra in a Spanish soap opera (Marielena.) I remember recording my appearance and watching it over and over. I was just walking in the scene but I was enamored with the idea that I might be able to do this for a living.
5-. What was the role you liked the most?
Honestly, I've loved most of the roles I've played. Although many of the roles are very different from me, they all have a lot of me in them. Things that are very personal to me. I often tell people, I am not him but those are my tears and pain.
6-. What do you think led you to Fame?
I wouldn't call it fame. I'm always surprised when people approach me in an airport or street and mention a role they saw me in and loved. I think that I've been blessed to have played some roles that people identify with or know someone like my role. Like I said before, when you bring truth to the role, that connects with audiences. It may not be their lives but they feel a connection with what the character is going through. I believe that at a deep level, they feel they might have something in common with me or my role.
7-. What types of characters you would like to interpret?
I love playing characters that have something to say. Roles that have an arc. I ask myself, how have they changed from the beginning to the end of the story? What have they learned? What did they lose or gain? Those are the roles that I am attracted to.
8-. What actresses and actors do you feel comfortable working with?
Actors who are serious about their craft and love the work. That they're not in it because of fame (regardless of how famous they may be.) I've been blessed to have worked with many artists like that throughout my career. Their artistry inspires me and I learn from them.
9-. In what other genres of art would you like to participate? (Works of theater, music, among others)
Luckily, I've done lots of theater, film and television. . In the last 10 years, I've fallen in love with photography. This has also led me to be a better director. It has taught me to tell stories with images, without words.
10-. Do you have any anecdotes that have marked you in your life and as a person?
Don't be afraid to break the rules and try things that haven't been done before. Don't focus on limitations. Focus on possibilities. When I first started acting in Miami, people would tell me about how difficult it was to have a career. I'd respond, films and TV shows need to cast someone, why not me?
11-. What has been your greatest achievement?
Personally, I'd say it's my relationship with my wife, actress Chuti Tiu. We've been together 21 years. Professionally, I've had many. Starring in my first film (Libertad), realizing that I could carry a film. As a director, shooting Pretty Rosebud and getting distribution – I had never directed before. During Covid, I wrote and directed the feature film “A Summer Night.” Both my films star my wife Chuti Tiu. If all goes well, we'll soon get distribution for A Summer Night after a great festival run that we've had.
12-. What projects will you make next and which ones do you have in mind?
I'm set to play one of the lead roles this year in 2 films (Monkey Grip and A Violent World). I'm also currently writing a film that I plan to star with my wife but I'm not ready to talk about it yet.
13-. Would you like to make a movie in Spain?
I'd love to! In fact we had the world premiere of “A Summer Night” at Love & Hope Film Festival in Barcelona and fell in love with the city and dying to work there.
14- Do you like Spanish cinema?
I love Spanish cinema. If you watch the films I've directed you can see a European influence to my work.

.   with my wife Chuti Tiu (A Summer Night)
    📸Paul Zimmer and Paul Alvarez Jr.📸

  The Hangover 3.
📸Paul Zimmer and Paul Alvarez Jr.📸





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing actress Melany Hill

Interviewing the actress Gabriela Kulaif

Interviewing the actress Gio Di Oliveira