Interviewing actress Annie A. Apakoh


1-. How was your childhood?
I hold onto my childhood as it’s what has made me the woman I am today. Nevertheless, my childhood was enjoyable, memorable and I learned a lot from my past self.
2. - From what age did you decide to be an actress and how did you know you had theskills to go on TV?
I think I’ve always wanted to go into ‘media’ but not sure how, it was definitely during secondary school. At first I wanted to be a presenter but I tried it at university and didn’t enjoy it as much as I did acting. But the click for me was when I watched the movie ‘Us’. Lupita N’yongo made me feel so many emotions that I knew I wanted to make an audience feel like that.
3. - Did your parents support you in the decision you made to be an actress?
Yes, I think maybe they don’t understand the process as much but they definitely support me.
4. - What was your first appearance on the screens?
My very first appearance was an extra role in a youtube short in 2020. But my first lead was a narrative music video - My Sister by Shaybo ft. Jorja Smith. That was in 2021 and it was an amazing experience. It opened a lot of doors for me at that age and led to a lot of the credits I have now. I will always praise that production for having me because it really changed my life moving forward in the industry.
5. - What was the role you liked the most?
Probably a role I did in a university show called ‘Female of the Species’. I played Molly Rivers. She was a super feisty character out to kill an author for her views in her books. The role was actually quite challenging and involved lots of fast lines/ dialogue but it taught me a lot with theater. Her movement and stage presence was so important but it's one of the many roles I've learned from.
6.- What do you think led you to fame?
Honestly, I’m far from famous. Fame is also not my end goal but there's no denying it comes with this industry. But I can say I got to this position today by being dedicated, learning and surrounding myself with people that are better than me. That is 100% important for me to do as I learn massively from people who are on a higher level than me. It pushes me a lot more and gives me more discipline. Keeping my head screwed on and staying focused while keeping my morals intact are also important.
7-. What types of characters you would like to interpret?
I like characters with an attitude or something to hide. I think this comes from my love of thriller and crime dramas. So I would love to play a role in a detective show/ film/ theatre production. Other than that, I do like playing student characters as I am an ex student and can relate in many ways. But theres no denying I would want to tackle all types or roles!
8-. What actresses and actors do you feel comfortable working with?
I love working with creatives that bring other ideas to the table. Creatives that are inclusive and vocal on ideas and trying new things. This also goes without saying but creatives that respect one another and are humble and kind to one another. Connecting offset and actually forming a nice friendship or getting along as people is very special to me. Its a great feeling to work with like minded people that are genuine.
9-. In what other genres of art would you like to participate? (Works of theater, music,among others)
I actually direct theater, do stage lighting design and scriptwrite. I learned all of these skills in university and experimented with the talents in freelance jobs.
10.- Do you have any anecdotes that have marked you in your life and as a person?
There are a lot of people and sayings that have impacted me and made me the person I am today. Probably the one thing I will always remember is the saying ‘You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take’. I can’t remember where I heard that from but I’ve taken it with me to every audition/ casting/ meeting. We have to remember we only have one life and we have to take all the opportunities we can get.
11.- What has been your greatest achievement?
My greatest achievement was probably directing a play earlier this year ‘I’m The One’. It was my third play I had directed but my first time working with people I have newly met and casted. I had previously worked with university friends but for this one I was going in completely fresh but had formed business bonds from the beginning. We sold out Barons Court Theatre and had 4 incredible runs. It was such a tough journey and a very crazy thing to do with just about 3 weeks to rehearse but we did it and I’m so proud of it. My family and friends got to see it and it was a mindblowing moment in the end. I don’t think it ever sunk in that it all really happened but I think it's because I had to go to university the next month!
 I’m The One is available to watch via an unlisted link, so feel free to have a peek!
12.- What projects will you make next and which ones do you have in mind?
With my acting, I want to contact more people and get myself out there more. I want to challenge myself with more roles and try bag commercial roles too. Any opportunity I want to take and grow my name. With the directing, we plan to take ‘I’m The One’ for a second run in 2025. We are a small team of 3 but we work incredibly hard on different things but that is the goal.
I have also made a short film that I want to submit to student film festivals late 2024/ early 2025. So hopefully I can push out a final edit next month and start that process.
13.- Would you like to make a movie in Spain?
Yes, absolutely! One of my goals is to work internationally and Spain would be a great and beautiful location.
14.- you like spanish cinema?
I work for a film festival and I see many films from Spain that I’ve enjoyed. I am also familiar with Money Heist and that is an amazing series that I love!.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing actress Melany Hill

Interviewing the actress Gabriela Kulaif

Interviewing the actress Gio Di Oliveira